Total Pageviews

Saturday, October 22, 2011

Manong Chicharon

There's this late-60-year-old guy I used to see near Jollibee-De Castro selling chicharon. Unlike the usual street vendor, Manong Chicharon is always dressed in polo shirt, maong pants and rubber shoes. Where it not for the sack of chicharon he carries on his shoulder, you would not think that he is someone who is in dire need of money. It breaks my heart to see him work so hard when supposedly he should be at home sitting on a rocking chair watching TV (just like what I see in movies!). Out of pity, I buy his chicharon even though I find them expensive. It's been months that I haven't seen Manong- probably he is selling his chicharon in another place (I thought).

Now why did I remember Manong today? Hmmm...I was walking along Shaw Boulevard today (as usual, traffic kasi). And lo! I saw Manong Chicharon , dressed in his usual  attire and no longer selling chicharon, begging from the insensitive passersby. He holds a white paper on his other hand and begs the passersby to read it. I was really surprised to see Manong in such a heart-crushing situation. Why did he end up as a beggar? What made him gave up and allowed his life to be dependent upon others? Several months ago, seeing him selling chicharon reminds me of the old cliche- where there's a way, there's a will. Maybe Manong Chicharon has exhausted all his options to live and all there is left is the hope that one of those who walks along shaw boulevard will pay heed to the predicament he is in now. Aja, Manong Chicharon!

No comments:

Post a Comment