Total Pageviews

Monday, November 21, 2011

Re-visiting My Roots - Cantilan


Nostalgic. This is what I exactly felt a week after I left my hometown -Cantilan. The intensity of longingness was the same with what I felt way back when I left my hometown to study here in Manila. I thought I'd get past the loneliness this time because I was with my hubby. But I was wrong...:( So much for the drama...

A lot of my friends here in Manila don't know where Surigao is located. And when I tell them it's in Mindanao, they presumed I am a Muslim. And more often than not, I let them believe I am one! ( as a warning to the bad guys ). So here's a map to give you and idea where my hometown is. Consider this as a short review of Geography 101 . :)


It would take around 2 hours by plane and 36 hours by boat
when travelling from Manila to Butuan/Surigao


For the food, I wasn't able to go food tripping. But I did ate my favorite dishes - Kinilaw na tangigue and adobong pusit. yum...yum... :) I wouldn't trade them for crab and shrimp dishes ! ( unlike most people I know)
Nothing beats Tatay's adobong pusit!
 I was too excited to eat I forgot to take a pic.

Kinilaw (Tangigue) with balibayon
Now let me show you the municipality proper. We live just a few blocks from the center of the municipality. (photos from http://tilangnet.page.tl)
Cannon during the Spanish period

Immaculate Conception Church

Remnants of the Daang Lungsod (Old Town) after  tidal
waves hit  the town in 1856

Cantilan Watch Tower


St. Michael College ( my alma mater)
More than just the food and the place, I went home because I miss my parents. For me, nothing beats spending quality time with family- heart-to-heart talk with my mother & bantering with my father while lightly punching his big belly :) . Meals took longer than usual because of the endless kwento and tsismis. :) Until we meet again, Nay & Tay!




3 comments:

  1. awts. It made me realized to Love our PARENTS... ♥ We are so busy GROWING UP and we often forget they are also GROWING OLD.

    ReplyDelete
  2. true, ye. bring more krispy kreme for your mama. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. nyay. mataas sugar nia.haha. =)

    ReplyDelete